1. Do you lose time from work due to your substance use?
2. Is drinking or drug use making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink or use drugs because you are shy with other people?
4. Is your substance use affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking or taking drugs?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your substance use?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking or using drugs?
8. Does your substance use make you careless of your family’s welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking or taking drugs?
10. Do you crave a drink or a drug at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want use substances the next morning?
12. Does drinking or taking drugs cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking or using drugs?
14. Is your substance use jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you drink or use drugs to escape from worries or troubles?
16. Do you drink or use drugs alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of your substance use?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking or drug addiction?
19. Do you drink or use drugs to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been in a hospital or institution on account of your substance use?
>> If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be a substance abuser.
>> If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you have a substance abuse problem.
>> If you have answered YES to three or more, you definitely have a problem with substance abuse.
*These questions were adapted from the John Hopkins 20 Questions on Alcoholism
If you answered yes to 2 or more of these questions, call 866-569-SAFE (7233) to schedule a confidential assessment. Taking just one step can improve your life.